I wonder if this type of shower is still given to a future bride?
This 1935 newspaper item was written during the Great Depression. The following are some fact about the Great Depression which will give you an insight into why a currency shower would be given.
- Congress authorizes creation of the Federal Communications Commission, the National Mediation Board and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- The economy turns around: GNP rises 7.7 percent, and unemployment falls to 21.7 percent. A long road to recovery begins.
- Sweden becomes the first nation to recover fully from the Great Depression. It has followed a policy of Keynesian deficit spending.
- The Supreme Court declares the National Recovery Administration to be unconstitutional.
- Congress authorizes creation of the Works Progress Administration, the National Labor Relations Board and the Rural Electrification Administration.
- Congress passes the Banking Act of 1935, the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act, the National Labor Relations Act, and the Social Security Act.
- Economic recovery continues: the GNP grows another 8.1 percent, and unemployment falls to 20.1 percent.
- Top tax rate raised to 79 percent.
- Economic recovery continues: GNP grows a record 14.1 percent; unemployment falls to 16.9 percent.
[The above timeline fact come from: http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/connections_n2/great_depression.html%5D
Information about the Currency Shower newspaper item:
The Meriden Daily Journal
May 7, 1935
See below this link:
Leave a Reply